sábado, 11 de junio de 2016

MAN KEPT ALIVE FOR A YEAR AND A HALF WITH AN ARTIFICIAL HEART IN A BACKPACK RECEIVES TRANSPLANT


SynCardia Freedom Portable Driver





Stan Larkin


Stan Larkin from Michigan 25 year old has finally received a heart transplant after a radical artificial heart in a backpack kept him alive for a record-breaking 17 months.

The first patient in Michigan ever discharged with a SynCardia temporary total artificial heart in 2014, Stan Larkin was back at the University of Michigan Frankel Cardiovascular Center last month for a heart transplant.

His brother also relied on the device to keep him alive but received his transplant sooner. 

"It was an emotional rollercoaster. I got the transplant two weeks ago and I feel like I could take a jog as we speak. I want to thank the donor who gave themselves for me. I'd like to meet their family one day. Hopefully they'd want to meet me",  said Larkin, at a news conference when he described living with the total artificial heart that was implanted to keep him alive until a donor heart became available. 

With the total artificial heart there are two tubes that exit the body, and those tubes have to be connected to a machine that can deliver compressed air into the ventricles to allow blood to be pumped through the body.